Amid neck hold controversy, Ottawa questions methods it wants RCMP to outlaw IG News

Irshadgul News report,

OTTAWA — The federal government is facing questions about what kind of force it is asking police to stop using, as the RCMP is criticized over its decision not to outlaw the controversial neck hold.

The RCMP says it still allows officers to use the “carotid control” grip, even though other forces such as the Ontario Provincial Police stopped using it three decades ago.

Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino last year directed Commissioner Brenda Luckey in a mandate letter to stop police from using the method.

He also called on the RCMP to stop using two other devices – tear gas and rubber bullets – that have received less public attention.

Western University criminologist Michael Arntfield says the letter caused confusion because they are “outmoded” methods that are no longer used by police in Canada, and he is urging Mendicino to clarify whether he meant less. Banning the non-lethal options that the RCMP uses.

Mendicino’s office has not responded to questions about the matter.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published on January 25, 2023.

join the conversation

conversation are the opinions of our readers and are subject to Code of conduct. The Star does not endorse these views.
RELATED ARTICLES

Most Popular