Lethbridge hostage victim shares her survival story IG News

IG News Updates,

Lethbridge, Alta. ,

The scars on Katherine Linder’s neck and body will be a reminder of how a normal day changed her life.

“It was a typical Thursday afternoon in the office,” she said. “I was doing paperwork and answering some calls when she came in and wanted to talk to one of our attorneys who wasn’t in.”

Linder says that once he and his practical student said they could get the lawyer on the phone to ask him to use the toilet.

Linder recalled, “Our summer student took her back there to do this and she came out a few minutes later with a gun and said I needed to talk to her or I was going to kill you two.”

Linder tried to call another organization where the lawyer was, when he was forced into an office at gunpoint.

“He closed the door, which must have happened for privacy, but when he pushed the two chairs against the door my heart stopped and I went oh, that’s not cool,” Linder said.

Held there for an hour, Linder says a police negotiator called, but she was forced to hang on to him. A second call was made by the interlocutor, but Linder said that nothing changed. She says the interlocutor called a third time and Linder answered it when her assailant pointed a gun at her and asked her to get down on her knees and turn.

“Next thing I knew she was standing in front of me pointing the gun at me,” Linder said. “He said get down on your knees and turn around and I said ‘you don’t want to do that’ and he said it again so I got a little tighter because I was leaning against a file cabinet and I thought if you’d hurt me going to deliver, you’re going to look in my eyes and you will.

Linder tried to fight him by pushing on his chest. He let out a scream and then two officers entered the room.

“They pulled him from me and an officer held my neck the whole time until we got to the ambulance where the paramedics were,” she said.

He was shot several times in the throat. Leander, covered in blood, was taken to the hospital and it took 56 stitches to heal his wounds.

“I remember I looked at my thumb and saw the cut, then I looked down and saw the blood on my shirt and all the files on the desk, but that didn’t really happen to me,” Linder told CTV. An interview on Friday.

Linder doesn’t remember the ambulance ride to the hospital, but says she spent eight days recovering.

Describing the incident, Linder says that during that time she remembers praying in the office.

“I wondered how it would go? What’s next? Mostly calm, I was praying a lot because that’s how I go through every bad situation,” she explained.

blood drive

After being taken hostage, Linder’s best friend, Alana Wheeler, begins planning a blood drive in her honor.

Wheeler said, “Knowing that she lost a lot of blood, it was just one of those ironies that I think we never know what’s going to happen and life is short and this one way of donating blood.” Good reason.”

Linder is an active donor and Wheeler thought the campaign would be a great way to raise awareness about blood donation while honoring her friend. The blood drive will take place at the Lethbridge Plasma Donor Center from 9 to 11 August.

As for Linder, she is expected to make a full recovery.

“Physically and mentally I’m going to be fine because I’m stronger,” she said. “Everyone is asking if I need anything or if I need help, so the support of my family and friends is overwhelming.”

Linder is not sure when she will return to work, but says she is grateful to everyone who helped her.

“The two officers who were there first saved my life, I should give credit to my faith and to God, I shouldn’t have avoided it,” Linder said.

Courtney Lewis Shaw is charged with attempted murder. She remains in custody till the court date on September 1.

The Ultimate Managed Hosting Platform

Most Popular

Most Popular