Manipur Violence | Manipur: Death toll in Pallel violence reaches 3, 160 have lost their lives so far IG News

Violence in Manipur

PTI Photo

ImphalA person seriously injured in violence in Pallel area of ​​Manipur’s Tengnoupal district on Friday died during treatment in the hospital. With this, the death toll in violence in the area has increased to three. Officials gave this information on Saturday. He said that one person was shot in the head in the firing between security forces and armed group and he died in the night during treatment at the Regional Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in Imphal.

Earlier, hundreds of people from the majority community tried to attack tribal villages, in which two people were killed and 50 people, including an army major, were injured, officials said. There was an exchange of fire between security forces and an armed group in Molnoi village near Pallel area in Manipur on Friday morning. These people were going to set arson and spread violence in the village. According to officials, when the news of the firing spread, Meira Pybis and Arabai Tenggol, wearing commando uniforms along with members of the Meitei community, tried to move towards Pallel, breaking the security posts. Security forces personnel tried to stop the mob to ensure peace and stability in Pallel.

When stopped by the forces, some armed people wearing police uniform and included in the crowd started firing, in which an Army Major was injured. The officer was taken by helicopter to a military hospital in Limakhong. Three other policemen were also injured in the incident. The officer said that the soldiers used mild force to disperse the crowd. They released tear gas shells in which more than 45 women were injured.

According to the official, a 48-year-old man was killed in firing from both sides on Friday. Meanwhile, a contingent of Quick Action Force personnel going from Imphal towards Pallel to control the crowd was stopped by locals including Meira Pybis at Thoubal. Two days before the incident, thousands of protesters had gathered in Phougakchao Ikhai area of ​​Bishnupur district and tried to break the army blockade to reach their abandoned homes in Torbung.

The people claimed that they wanted to reach their abandoned homes in Torbung, but security sources alleged that the mob wanted to attack the tribals and vandalize their houses. As a precautionary measure, complete curfew was again imposed in all five valley districts of Manipur a day before the protest.