IG news Update,
New Brunswick is making it easier for people to get a COVID-19 rapid test, the Department of Health announced Wednesday, with the province recording four more COVID-related deaths in the past week.
People no longer need to have COVID symptoms to qualify for rapid test kits, and the kits will be available for pickup in more places, particularly in rural areas, including libraries or municipal offices.
The tests should be used even when people are symptomatic, “when they are most effective and useful,” said Dr. Yves Leger said.
And people still need to schedule an appointment to pick up test kits online or by calling 1-833-437-1424.
People who are symptomatic should arrange for someone else to take the test kit, if possible, Leger said.
“We know that COVID-19 is still circulating in New Brunswick, and New Brunswickers want to do their best to reduce the spread of the virus within their communities,” he said.
Death toll is 480. Is
The announcement comes as the virus claimed the lives of four more people, all aged 90 or older, the province’s COVIDWatch report for September 11 to 17 shows. Their deaths have raised New Brunswick’s death toll from the pandemic to 480.
According to Public Health, the number of people hospitalized dropped from 35 to 21, with two people requiring intensive care, down from four.
Meanwhile, two regional health officials in the province say 96 New Brunswickers were hospitalized as of Saturday either for COVID-19 or up from 81 a week earlier.
Unlike Public Health, which only reports people hospitalized due to COVID-19, Horizon and Vitalite also include in their weekly reports those who were initially admitted for some other reason, later tested positive for the virus. test positive.
The Horizon and Vitalite COVID-19 dashboard shows eight people below 12 are in intensive care.
According to the province, the number of people hospitalized for COVID-19 also decreased this week to 21, compared to 23 last week.
New entrants include one person in their 50s, two in their 60s, 10 in their 70s, six in their 80s and two in their 90s or older.
The highest share of hospitalizations for COVID-19 is among people aged 70 to 89, the COVIDWatch report indicates.
It says people who are vulnerable to the vaccine have the highest rates of hospitalizations for COVID-19 and ICU admissions.
The health department did not immediately respond to a request for vaccination rates.
PCR cases ‘stable’
The number of new cases of COVID-19 reported across the province rose by 955 to 1,091, including those confirmed with a PCR (polymerase chain reaction) lab test and those who tested positive in the rapid test.
This comes as students have been back to school for almost two weeks without any mandatory COVID-19 protective measures.
Based on PCR-confirmed cases alone, there are 843 active cases of COVID in the entire province.
Public Health said the number of new PCR-confirmed cases of COVID-19 remained “stagnant” at 586 this week, compared to 575 in the previous report.
The Moncton area, Zone 1, has the largest share of new cases at 212, followed by the Fredericton area at 133, St. John’s area, Zone 3, 85, Miramichi area with Zone 2, 54, Zone 7, 48. In the Bathurst area, zone 6, 42 in the Edmondston area, zone 4, and 12, zone 5 in the Campbelton area.
Another 505 cases were self-reported through positive rapid test results, up from 380.
They also have the largest proportion in the Moncton region, Zone 1, 170. The delivery of other positive outcomes includes:
- St. John’s Area, Zone 2, 116
- Fredericton Area, Zone 3, 148
- Edmundston Area, Zone 4, 23
- Campbelton Area, Zone 5, Eight
- Bathurst Area, Zone 6, 22
- Miramichi Zone, Zone 7, 18
Of the most recent random samples sent for sequencing, 93 percent were highly transmissible Omicron subvariant ba.5, six percent were Omicron subvariant ba.4, and another one percent were Omicron subvariant ba.2.
New Brunswick has had 76,902 lab-confirmed cases of COVID-19 since the start of the pandemic, of which 75,579 are now resolved.
hospital outbreak, sick staff
Horizon Health Network reports 71 active COVID-19 hospital admissions, including five people in intensive care. This is compared to 57 and six, respectively, last week.
Vitalité Health Network reports 25 hospitalized patients, 24 of whom are in intensive care, compared with six patients from the previous week.
There is an outbreak of COVID-19 at 10 Horizon Hospital units, including five in the Moncton area, zone 1, three in the St. John area, zone 2, one in the Fredericton area, zone 3 and one in the Miramichi area. No other details have been provided.
Vitalité outbreaks occurred at the Geriatric Unit (3A), Rehabilitation Unit (3F), and Nephrology Unit (4F) at the Dr. Georges-L.-Dumont University Hospital Center in Moncton; and on the care unit at Stella-Maris-de-Kent Hospital in Sainte-Anne-de-Kent.
The number of health care workers laid off due to COVID-19 has come down from 147 to 98.
Horizon has 46 employees as they tested positive for the virus, down from 76, while Vitalite has 52 infected workers, down from 71.