IG News Updates,
Tyler Perry has opened up about his decision to offer his home to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle to live in after leaving royal life more than two years ago.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex announced they were stepping down as working senior members of the royal family in early 2020 before moving to the US.
They first stayed in Canada as they transitioned to their new lives abroad, before filmmaker Perry offered them a place to live in one of his mansions in California.
Perry, 53, was one of the first stars to support the royal couple, who are facing massive backlash over their decision to leave the UK.
Recalling how he reached out to help Harry, 38, and Meghan, 41, the Madea director told NBC Today: ‘It was a very difficult time for them and what I know about the two of them’ I wish the world knew how much they are loved.
‘These two people love each other. They found each other. In all these obstacles to find each other, they found each other.
‘The love they have is really, really shaking and I just wanted to do whatever I could to support them.’
Continuing to express his astonishment at the couple’s relationship, Perry admitted that he hopes to find a similar love in the future, adding: ‘If I don’t have that, what do she and Harry have, I don’t want it – it’s really wonderful.’
Meghan recently praised Perry for her support in the early days of her marriage to Harry, explaining how she ‘understood’ the stress she would face in the public eye.
“Sometimes, you can tell the story of your life to a stranger on a plane as opposed to some of the people closest to you,” the former Suits actress told The Cut last month.
Harry and Meghan left Perry’s humble abode to buy their property in Montecito, Calif., for $14 million. The couple lives there with their two children, a three-year-old son, Archie, and a Lilibet.
It is not yet known whether the couple has moved back to the States after spending nearly three weeks in Britain following the death of Harry’s grandmother, Queen Elizabeth II, on 8 September.
The Queen died at the age of 96 at her Balmoral home and Harry moved to the Scottish estate to live with the rest of the royal family, leaving Meghan behind in London. The two then thanked the mourners in Windsor for their condolences, along with Prince William and Princess Catherine of Wales, before attending the Queen’s state funeral on Monday.
Got a story?
If you have any celebrity stories, videos or images, contact the Metro.co.uk entertainment team by emailing us at [email protected], calling 020 3615 2145 or visiting our Submit Content page – we Love to hear from you.
MORE: BBC hits back at complaints of ‘constant’ coverage of Queens death: ‘Our reporting has been impartial’
MORE: Olivia Wilde addresses ‘Weird Rumors’ boyfriend Harry Styles on Chris Pine: ‘People will look for drama anywhere’